So having spun for about 11 months now, 6 months on my wheel, the Tour de Fleece (TdF) seems like an ideal challenge. The Tour de Fleece is a group on Ravelry who have challenged themselves to spin for the entirety of the Tour de France, which runs from July 2nd to 24th. The challenged started in 2006 and this year there are thousands of people particpating across the world.
The idea, is to have a giant, long, spin-a-long where everyone gets to challenge themselves in different ways. Some people give themselves volume requirements (as in I am going to spin 3lbs of fiber), others challenge themselves to making really thin yarns, or seeing how much yarn they can spin (as in I want to spin 10km of yarn) or using a certain technique (art yarns, chain plys, singles) , while others challenge themselves to spin every day.
This year I am joining Team Rookies (because it is my first year in the Tour), Team Ashford (because I will be spinning on my Ashford Traveller) and Team Phattie, (as pretty much all my fiber is from Phat Fiber artists).
So my challenges for the Tour are:
- To spin every day, for a minimum of 10 minutes
- To spin one yarn with a pattern in mind, which means being intentional about my spinning technique, yarn weight and trying to aim for specific lengths.
- To spin some silk successfully
- To spin at least one yarn: -Long Draw -From the Fold -Chain Plyed
- To spin with intention, and make sure that no matter what I enjoy the activity